Thursday, March 21, 2013

TBR welcomes Rachel Brimble

TBR: Welcome to TBR, Rachel. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
Rachel: I live in South West England with my husband of almost 15 years and our two teen and pre-teen daughters. I’ve been writing all my life but pursued publication when my youngest started school in 2005. I am lucky enough to have had at least one novel published every year since 2007.
When I’m not writing, I love to read, knit, walk and watch TV or socialize with friends and family. I currently write mainstream romance and romantic suspense for Harlequin Superromance and Victorian romance for Kensington.

TBR: Tell us about Finding Justice and where it's available.
Rachel: Finding Justice is my debut novel with Harlequin Superromance and I’m thrilled to say it is book one in what I hope will be an ongoing series (book two coming in August 2013). The books are set in the UK fictional seaside town of Templeton Cove and will feature a mix of mainstream romance and romantic suspense.
The setting is based on a place where I used to holiday with my family as a child – I had an idea for a murder and the victim to be a childhood friend of both the hero and heroine. This is a reunion/suspense story. I hope you like it!

TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Rachel:
Old friends, new secrets 
Sergeant Cat Forrester lives by her own set of rules. When her childhood friend is murdered, Cat's world is thrown into chaos. Especially because Jay Garrett-a man from her past-is a suspect, and he needs her help to prove he's innocent. After all they once shared, how can she say no? 
The attraction flares between them, and getting involved with a suspect is a huge risk. But the more time Cat spends with Jay, the stronger the tug on her heart. He is the same caring, irresistible man she remembers. Yet she can't let her emotions interfere with the case—solving it is top priority. But as she digs deeper, she discovers Jay has secrets that may jeopardize any possible future together.
Image Copyright © 2013 by Harlequin Enterprises Limited

How do you develop your characters?
Rachel: My books usually start to formulate with either setting or situation and then I need to find the right characters to tell the story. I begin by trawling the internet for a ‘visual’ which, more often than not, is a famous actor/actress. This gives me the physical aspects of the character and then I complete a character sketch sheet which includes the character’s goal, motivation and internal conflict––as well as their biggest fear.
This sheet usually throws up plot ideas as I’m completing it as well as pivotal scenes. I then go on write a two to three page synopsis that gives me an outline I can build on and change.  

TBR: While creating your books, what was one of the most surprising things you learned?
Rachel: Writing never gets any easier! I really thought with each book, I wouldn’t run headlong into the same problems each time. I do. My biggest challenges throughout the writing process are the dreaded ‘sagging middle’ and the need to ‘up the stakes’ as the story progresses.
Writing is hard work – involving a lot of blood, sweat and tears. The reward for me is seeing the finished product. Cover art day is always a GREAT day! :)

TBR: Tease us with one little thing about your fictional world that makes it different from others.
Rachel: I’m very proud to say, as far as I know (and my editor knows), Finding Justice is the first ever Superromance to feature all British characters in a British setting. I’m very proud of that and thrilled Harlequin are willing to consider an ongoing series. So far the reviews for Finding Justice have been great. It’s such a relief that readers love Templeton Cove as much as me!

TBR: What's next for you?
Rachel: My next release is another debut for me – this time with eKensington. “The Seduction of Emily” is a Victorian romance set in the famous city of Bath, England (just a short 30 minute drive from where I live). I was ecstatic when eKensington contracted it, along with a sequel. My first two-book contract, yay!

Here’s the blurb and links for pre-order:
Seduction is a wicked game, and no one plays it better than the devilish Will Samson in Rachel Brimble's captivating new novel. . .
Since girlhood, Emily Darson has accepted that she will marry Nicholas, the son of her father's trusted business partner. The marriage contract safeguards her family legacy, Emily's fortune, and everything she values--except her independence. Only when a sinfully handsome scoundrel enters her life does Emily realize quite how much a loveless match will cost her.
Will Samson has advanced from expert pickpocket to confidence trickster of the highest caliber. Now he has come to Bath to exact vengeance on the man who destroyed his mother--the man Emily will soon marry. But from his first glimpse of the enemy's bewitching, spirited fiancée, Will's plan changes.
Amid the ballrooms and salons of elegant society, heated glances explode into scandalous kisses. Revenge is sweet, but surrender will be irresistible. .

TBR: Any other published works?
Rachel: Here is a list of my published works and upcoming releases during 2013:
Searching For Sophie (Novel) – The Wild Rose Press (July 2007)
Reluctant Witness (Novel) – The Wild Rose Press (Oct 2008)
The Sharp Points of A Triangle (Novel) – Eternal Press (Jan 2010)
The Arrival of Lily Curtis (Novel) – The Wild Rose Press (Jul 2010)
Transatlantic Loving (Novella) – The Wild Rose Press (Sept 2010)
Getting It Right This Time (Novel) – Lyrical Press (Jan 2011)
Paying The Piper (Novel) – Lyrical Press (Sept 2011)
Love’s Debt (Novella) – The Wild Rose Press (Sept 2012)
Finding Justice (Novel) – Harlequin Superromance (Feb 2013)
Upcoming releases:
The Seduction of Emily (Novel) – eKensington (Apr 2013)
16 Marsden Place (Novel) – Omnific Publishing (June 2013)
A Man Like Him – Templeton Cove book 2 (Novel) – Harlequin Superromance (Aug 2013)

TBR: Who are some of your favorite authors and books? What are you reading now?
Rachel: I have MANY favorite authors but my biggest inspiration for both her books and rate of production is Nora Roberts – just love her books, including the JD Robb In Death series. It amazes me how prolific she is!
Right now I am reading, The Summer of Living Dangerously by UK woman’s fiction writer, Julie Cohen and also Death by Darjeeling by Laura Childs. I have recently discovered US cozy mysteries and just loving them! :)

TBR: Where can readers find you on the web?
Rachel: I’m a Twitter maniac so readers can easily discover the madness of my day-to-day life by following me – here’s my links:

TBR: Readers, Rachel will give away a download of any of her books to one lucky commenter. She'll pick a winner on Thursday, March 28th and announce the winner here. Be sure to leave your email address so she can contact you.

Thanks for visiting TBR, Rachel. All the best to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to TBR guests!