Monday, May 7, 2012

TBR welcomes Patrice Lyle

TBR: Welcome to TBR, Patrice. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
Patrice: Hi! By day, I’m in a Naturopathic Mentorship at my mother-in-law’s wellness center. And by early mornings, nights and weekends, I’m a fiction writer. I started my first novel when I was ten years old and since then I’ve written three screenplays, seven novels, and a few short stories. My sixth novel was just published by Leap Books.

TBR: Tell us about LETHALLY BLONDE
Patrice: Lethally Blonde is a YA paranormal novel about a fashion-loving teen demon who spies for the devil.


TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Patrice: If Elle Woods were a teenage demon, her name would be Morgan Skully. Morgan is the world's only blonde demon girl, and she's got a brand new, very unusual after school job.  Spying for the Devil.  She'd much rather use her cloak-and-dagger skills to spy on hottie-licious Derek with her friends, but the Devil won't take no for an answer.  Luckily for Morgan, her new boss is kinda hot.  Her assignment is simple: find out who at Pitchfork Prep is funneling secrets to the Siberian Werewolf Council.  If she succeeds, pedicures and platinum highlights are just the beginning.  But if she fails, she'll be expelled before she can woo Derek into asking her to the Brimstone Ball!

TBR: What inspired you to write about the theme?
Patrice:
When I was pondering what to write next, I started thinking about movies and novels that I loved. Well, Legally Blonde instantly popped into my mind and I was like, what if Elle Woods were a teenage demon? And voila, Morgan Skully – the blonde fashion-loving demon in Lethally Blonde – was born. Or should that be spawned? Lol. Character always drives the story for me. Once I come up with the character, then the plot naturally arises from him or her.


TBR: Are you a plotter or pantser?
Patrice: I’m what I call a “reformed pantser.” Meaning that in my heart and soul, I’m a pantser. I love writing a story by the seat of my pants, breathlessly finding out what happens next as my fingers hit the keyboard. But I’ve written myself into so many corners that way so I had to change my ways. Now what I do is write the first three chapters pantser style and then I plot out the rest of the book using an Excel spreadsheet to create a scene-by-scene outline of the book. Then I go back and finish the book. Sometimes things change as the story develops, but usually I stick to the outline.

TBR: Do you have a favorite quote you’d like to share?
Patrice: Yes! From my father…he always says DEQ! For “Don’t Ever Quit!” It’s my writing mantra.

TBR: Did any music inspire your book? Do you have a playlist?
Patrice: I wish I could be an author who creates a really cool playlist to write to, but I just can’t. I have to be in complete silence (with the exception of the meowing of one of our three cats and the keyboard as my fingers tap the keys) to create. I can’t even work in coffee shops because the noise is too distracting for me. So I write in my office, which is very quiet. Except when the neighbor likes to get carried away with his leaf blower J

TBR: Which of your characters would you most/least like to invite to dinner, and why?
Patrice: I would most like to invite Morgan to dinner. Writing her character always put me in a great mood. She’s funny and loves pink so I’m sure we’d be heading to a restaurant that serves on pink china with pink linens. Least likely? That’s an easy one for me…Penelope. She’s such a snot that even I can’t stand her. Nothing bugs me more than stuck-up people.

TBR: Tease us with one little thing about your fictional world that makes it different from others.
Patrice: I’d say it’s my take on demons. They’re usually portrayed as scary and evil, but Morgan Skully is the polar opposite of those things. She’s a blonde, fashion-loving demon who spies for the devil. And speaking of the devil, in Lethally Blonde, he looks like a surfer and his favorite tie is his surfboard one. He’s tan with dark blondish, wavy hair and Morgan’s got a total crush on him.

TBR: Any other published works?
Patrice: Yes! I was a contributor to the how-to-anthology Many Genres, One Craft. It was published by Headline Books and is a wonderful resource on the craft of writing. It was put together by my alma mater, Seton Hill University, where I received my Master’s degree in Writing Popular Fiction in 2003 (fabulous program). I also have a paranormal middle-grade mystery novel in the works currently with Leap Books.

TBR: Who are some of your favorite authors and books? What are you reading now?
Patrice: I absolutely love reading on my Kindle while walking on my treadmill. I walk 3 miles every morning and would not trade it for the world. Love it! I am currently reading Toys by James Patterson. I just finished Embrace by Jessica Shirvington; Only The Good Spy Young by Ally Carter, The Gossip Ghouls: Zombies and Lipstick by Z, and the entire Peachville High Demons series by Sarra Cannon. I’m also going to read all of the releases from the authors in 2K12, a group of debut YA and middle grade authors that I’m part of. Check out our website www.classof2k12.com for all the exciting releases! My very favorite book of all time is The Charm School by Nelson DeMille.

TBR: Where can readers find you on the web?
Patrice:
Patrice’s website: www.patricebooks.com
Patrice’s Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/patricebooks
Twitter: @Patrice_Lyle
Patrice’s Author Page at Leap Books: http://www.leapbks.com/patricelyle.htm
Patrice is part of The Class of 2k12 (a group of YA and middle grade authors debuting in 2012): www.classof2k12.com

TBR: Thanks so much for visiting TBR, Patrice! And for being TBR’s Featured Author for May. All the best to you!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Patrice! Love the concept behind Lethally Blonde. It sounds like such a fun story.
    Cate

    ReplyDelete

Talk to TBR guests!