Wednesday, August 22, 2012

TBR welcomes Natalie G. Owens

Everything to Lose

This story is special to me for several reasons. First, because in part it was the second book I wrote a long time ago. At the time, it was at least half in length and very poorly developed, but I still loved the basic premise and wanted to do something with it. It spent 3 years with a publisher and finally, I had my rights back and the opportunity to revisit it. To make it what I intended it to be.

Second, in this story I mention one of my favorite places in the world - Ascoli Piceno in Italy. This place has great meaning because it's where one of my dearest friends lives. We had met when we were both children. I saw her name in a magazine for kids and tweens. She was looking for people who had a passion for a certain Japanese cartoon - "Lady Oscar". The rest is history. I immediately wrote to her (didn't have email at the time, so it had to be snail mail) and told her I was crazy about that cartoon and, can we be friends? We met some time later in Rome. We had our families with us and were treated to some delectable Roman meals - pizza one day, and risotto with squash and mozzarella another day. To die for. 


Years later, when we both grew up, my friend was in emotional trouble. She felt lonely because the love of her life had traveled to some place far away and she hadn't seen him in a long time. I left everything and went to Ascoli Piceno to spend some time with her... and I fell in love with this place. So, it was no surprise I had to put it in a book. Today, my friend and I still communicate, and there's still the mutual love of "Lady Oscar" that binds us. I suppose there are things one never grows out of :).


Ascoli Piceno is the perfect backdrop for a couple to mend their broken hearts. It is old, it has character, and it welcomes you with a quiet smile. It is not glamorous like Rome or Milan, but its buildings also have stood the test of time. It is solid and full of stories to tell. My characters, Dane and Lisbeth Marsh, can surely feel its magic.


I hope you feel its magic too...


 
 
 
From the suburbs of London to the old charm of Ascoli Piceno, Italy, follow the journey a broken couple must take to discover the long-buried secrets that shattered their marriage. 

Lisbeth Marsh put everything on hold to be with her ideal man, even the wish to have a family. But when the dream of everlasting love vanished into thin air, she was faced with the mistakes and prejudices of her choices. 

Dane Marsh is a proud man who spent years worshiping the gods of ambition. Toward this single-minded purpose, he sacrificed his happiness and peace of mind. Now that he knows what he's lost, will he have the courage to turn his life around? 

With a little meddling from Moonlight Dating's Jeanette Lagrange and a dash of magic, the two embark on the trip of a lifetime to bury the ghosts of the past. 
  
 
Natalie G. Owens ~
Romance with a dark edge.
No rules. No formulas. Just love, mystery... and a world of surprises in between! 
Something to Live for, (Moonlight Dating Series #1), contemporary romance with supernatural elements.
Everything to Lose, (Moonlight Dating Series #2), contemporary romance
 

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back to TBR, Natalie!
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie! What an amazing story of friendship. I, too, had a few pen-pals who I met through a magazine, but our friendship didn't stand that test of space and time, though I still have the letters we exchanged.

    Congrats on a wonderful sounding book. And great cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is certainly a book that sounds like it comes from a special place of your heart, Natalie. Thanks so much for sharing your story here today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Christine and Angela. There are some memories in life that never fade, right? And yes, this is a special story to me. Thanks for having me, Cate!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to TBR guests!