Friday, November 16, 2012

TBR welcomes Carla Caruso

TBR: Welcome to TBR, Carla Caruso. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
Carla: Hello, I’m an Australian author called Carla Caruso. I’m behind the new eBook, Mommy Blogger (Eternal Press). I’ve had a varied career as a newspaper and magazine journalist, government PR, fashion stylist – and now author. Hobbies include watching trashy TV shows, fashion, astrology and running J

TBR: Tell us about Mommy Blogger and where it's available.
Carla: Sure, here’s the blurb… One baby, one lie–and a whole new career. Stella lands a great job as a mommy blogger. The catch is she’s never had children. Plunged into a world of insanity every mother faces, she must learn to cope as her lies build upon one another. A sexy ex comes into the picture, forcing her to choose between him or the job and a handsome ‘keeper’ of a co-worker. It can’t last forever.
Find the tome at…

TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Carla: 
EXCERPT: A crash sounds behind me, making me jump about ten-foot high. I turn. Shoot. Zach’s leaning over, his tiny hands on the back of the faux cloud, which is now face-down on the ground. His tiny frame belies his strength.

Making vroom-vroom noises, Zach jumps up and darts away before I can catch him, pushing over a pretend tree now. The move sends another two trees toppling over, almost flattening the forty-something dad and kid, plus a unicorn. A collective gasp echoes from the crowd. Swearing under my breath, face flaming, I charge after Zach. He zips away, trying hard to push over a rainbow next.

“Stop that,” I cry out. “That’s a person.”

Unfortunately, Zach doesn’t stop. The rainbow-costumed actor moans, “Think I’ve pulled something.”

Giving up, Zach charges on. All I can do is run helplessly after him. He’s as slippery as an eel. Dennis the Menace has nothing on him. From the audience, I hear one kid noisily burst into tears. I glance over at Elvis. He looks aghast. Drat.

“Please stop,” I yell at Mister Mini Muscles, but Zach doesn’t. I’m beside myself.

TBR: What inspired you to write about the theme?
Carla: Mommy Blogger was inspired by my once applying to write for a parenting website, pretending I was a mom – when, in truth, I’m not! My clueless story ideas, needless to say, didn’t make the cut. The novel is also inspired by that strange time in your thirties, as women, when friends start falling into one of two camps – the yummy mommies and the party-loving singletons. Working out how to still relate to one another can be the dilemma.

TBR: Are you a plotter or pantser?
Carla: Total plotter! I get stumped with what to do next if I don’t have a plan in place. Every scene has a reason that furthers the plot or, okay, at least gets a good laugh (fingers crossed) from the reader.  

TBR: Do you have a favorite quote you’d like to share?
Carla: “The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.” It’s so true! My little sis, Daniella, told me that one…

TBR: Did any music inspire your book? Do you have a playlist?
Carla: I love my old-school R&B, like Ashanti, Ja Rule and Destiny’s Child. Bring it on! Similarly, protagonist Stella Anastasi can’t seem to let go of her youth and does too.

TBR: Which of your characters would you most/least like to invite to dinner, and why?
Carla: I’d most like to invite Stella’s oddball friend, Rose, to tea (that’s what we call dinner in Australia!) She’s full-on quirky. She drives an old pink Datsun 120Y with eyelashes on the headlights, and love-love-loves a freebie – everything from online clothes swaps to perfume samples, she’s there! She’s always saying weird things too, which would keep the other guests amused.

TBR: Any other published works?
Carla: Yes, I have just released another novel, Cityglitter, out through Penguin’s new digital-first imprint, Destiny Romance. It’s about a gorgeous fairy living a glam life in the big city, who does the one thing she promised herself she’d never do: fall in love with a human! (Find out more at www.destinyromance.com.)

TBR: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Most rewarding?
Carla: Editing can be a drag! I love coming up with ideas. It’s just the writing and editing part that’s tough haha. The most rewarding is, of course, the finished product. Oh, and positive reviews! Reader feedback. And getting another publishing contract. The list goes on…

TBR: What’s the most interesting comment you have received about your books?
Carla: On Mommy Blogger, The Book Boost blog said “would like to see another book featuring this character… loved the ‘snarkiness’ right off the bat. Amazingly funny voice will start you off giggling and keep you laughing throughout…Part two, anyone?” I was chuffed, just quietly!

TBR: Who are some of your favorite authors and books? What are you reading now?
Carla: Favourite authors I always mention include Sophie Kinsella (love the Shopaholic Series!), Maggie Alderson and Zoe Foster. I have also just discovered Lisa Walker, who has recently written a very funny book called Liar Bird. My kind of brand of humor!

TBR: Where can readers find you on the web?
Carla: My blog’s at www.carlacaruso.com.au. Plus, I’ve just joined the Twitter-verse at @CarlaCaruso79.


TBR: Readers, Carla Caruso will give away a copy of eBook Mommy Blogger to one lucky commenter. She'll pick a winner on Saturday and announce the winner here. Be sure to leave your email address so she can contact you.

Thanks for visiting, Carla. All the best to you.

2 comments:

Talk to TBR guests!