Monday, July 23, 2012

TBR welcomes Janet Lane Walters

TBR: Welcome to TBR, Janet. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
Janet: I’ve been writing since the dark ages. Actually since the days of typewriters and carbon paper. Sold my first short story in 1968 and the first novel in 1972. I’ve won awards for my writing and the proudest is the EPIC award in 2003 with my friend Jane Toombs for How To Be Your Own Critique Partner. I live in the scenic Hudson River valley and this has been the setting for many of my stories. Writing is my obsession and I try to put a few words on paper every day, even when on vacation. As a mother and grandmother, I encourage my family to read. I’ve published some thirty plus books in both fiction and non-fiction. My chosen genres are romance, paranormal, fantasy for YA and adults, mystery, suspense.
 
TBR: Tell us about Code Blue and where it's available.
Janet: Code Blue is actually a re-release, issued by Books We Love LTD and is a particular favorite. The book can be purchased here.

TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Janet: When Susan Randall finds the body of the hospital’s gossip queen she doesn’t realize she is the object of the killer’s obsession. Widowed, Susan doesn’t want to be involved with another controlling man so she holds the hero at a distance since she fears he will attempt to control her life. As he friends and colleagues at the hospital die the appearance of courtship gifts like candy, books, jewelry, begins to frighten her. Can she find the identity of the killer before she joins the dead.

TBR: What inspired you to write about the theme?
Janet: Having been a nurse for years and reading many medical suspenses I wondered what would happen if the murderer wasn’t an evil doctor or a disenchanted nurse or a mad scientist, I decided to choose a different kind of villain, a nuce guy but one with twisted emotions. From the moment he appeared in the story, he fascinated me. This splitting of his personality and his obsession triggered the other characters obsessions and the story took flight.

TBR: Are you a plotter or pantser?
Janet: I’m kind of both. I start with a general outline and know where the story begins and how it ends. I may also know several of the scenes where there are dramatic turns. But when I sit down to write, I go with the flow of the plot and the characters. I’m a draft writer so everything in the rough draft is subject to change as the story and the characters view of what’s important evolves.

TBR: How do you develop your characters?
Janet: Developing characters involves Astrology. After Iknow what kind of character is needed to express the story, I choose a name. This is important because with the name the character becomes alive. Then I decide on a Sun sign, A Moon sign and an Ascendant. This provides me with the character’s inner nature, emotional nature and the nature they show the world. Knowing these things gives me an insight into what their goals and motivations will be important.

TBR: Did any music inspire your book? Do you have a playlist?
Janet: I know many writers have music to write by. I do as well but not the usual music. Instrumental works are good. Love the 1812 Overture and anything else by Tchaikovsky. The waltz from Eugene Onegin for love scenes and also Swal Lake. Beethoven is also good for writing stormy scenes. Listening to music with words and singers and I start listening and analyzing the words and forget to write.

TBR: Tease us with one little thing about your fictional world that makes it different from others.
Janet: Since I have so many worlds I’ve created, this question is hard to say. In Code Blue, the difference is that the nurses and doctors aren’t the bad guys. The hospital setting is a familiar one to me since I was once a nurse and I try to keep this as real as possible. When writing fantasy, the worlds are developed as the story goes on and the difference here is in the magical powers of my characters. The mystery series takes place mainly in the Hudson River Valley village where I live, though I have combined three small villages into one.

TBR: What's next for you?
Janet: At the moment I’m working on the fifth Katherine Miller Mystery, The Micro-manager Murder. Kate’s wedding day brings news that makes her leave the reception and go to a friend’s rescue. I am also working on Lines of Fire, a fantasy series that I hope will encompass at least three books. This brings an interesting idea using my knowledge of Astrology in a different way.

TBR: Any other published works?
Janet: I have many published works some aren’t available any longer since they’re from my writing past. In my current list is Shortcut to Love, Code Blue, The Doctor’s Dilemma, Heath Throbs, A Double Opposition, Gemstones, The Henge Betrayed Refuge, Quests, Murder and Mint Tea, Requiem Murder, The Midas Murders, The Hudson House Murders, Whispers Out of Yesteryear, Prescription for Love, The Quest For The White Jewel, The Brotherhood of Mages, The Secret of the Jewels, The Temple of Fyre, The Dragons of Fyre, A Savory Seduction, A Silken Seduction, A Second Seduction, A Sudden Seduction, On Opposite Sides, A Minor Opposition, All Our Yesterdays, A Marriage Inconvenient and How To Become Your Own Critique Partner written with Jane Toombs.


TBR: What’s the most interesting comment you have received about your books?
Janet: That I have a knack for developing villains who seem rather normal and nice but aren’t. I like the bad guys and gals and always hope they can match the heroes and heroines in the stories I write.

TBR: Thanks for visiting TBR, Janet. Best of luck to you.

9 comments:

  1. I like that comment about the villains. The obvious ones, well, I like those too. But there's something so complicated about the nice guy next door whom no one would ever suspect kills woman on the side if he suspects they where is favorite shade of lipstick or so he can collect their underwear. That unknown creep factor can be jolting and exciting when reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article, Janet. I can relate to the typewriter and carbon paper. -:)

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting interview! I like your choice in inspirational music, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! I agree with what you said about names. Characters never really seem to come alive until they have the right name.
    It sounds like you have quite a lot going on, good luck with it all.
    Jen Sampson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this, Jante! I especially found your advice about using astrology to help create intriguing characters. What a useful writing tool...

    Sydell Voeller

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janet,
    Nice blog. You certainly are a prolific writer. I think villians can make or break a story. You don't have to like them, but you need them.

    Regards

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Talk to TBR guests!