Monday, July 9, 2012

TBR welcomes Sarah J. Carr

TBR: Welcome to TBR, Sarah. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
Sarah: I’m 32, live in Washington State with my wonderful husband and adorable son. By day, I bill radiology and I’m a novelist by night. I went to college to become a massage therapist and I’m also an ordained minister.

TBR: Tell us about Revealing Hamilton and where it's available.
Sarah: My latest release is Revealing Hamilton. It’s available through Ruby Lioness Press at www.rubylionesspress.com. It’s also found on SmashWords, Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.com.

TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Sarah: Here’s an excerpt from Revealing Hamilton.

Something felt wrong.
In the living room, an ottoman rested on its side and a magazine lay open on the floor. A colorful article advertising Las Vegas blared from the pages. From the corner of my eye, the screen of Connor’s cell phone caught my attention. I watched it periodically blink, communicating new messages awaited.
I went to the kitchen next and found the latest stack of mail on the island. The top envelope made me cringe when I saw the return address. It was another letter from the State of Washington. This one was addressed to Amelia Brooks.
My identity had been an issue for years. Since age 18, I submitted multiple requests to change my last name from my grandfather’s back to my parents. With each attempt, the paperwork came back denied, stating my name was Amelia Benedict or another obscure surname starting with the letter “B”. Double-checking each field, I clearly filled out the forms to read Amelia Hamilton, but was contradicted every time. I determined it a sick way for my grandfather to haunt me from the grave. The latest correspondence would have to wait.
A broken wine bottle and bandage wrappers were on the counter next to the refrigerator. Droplets of dark fluid created a path from the bottle to the sink, making me shudder. The room began to feel too warm and nausea flooded my stomach. I grabbed a rolling pin from the island, gripping it so tightly my knuckles hurt.
“Calm down, Amelia,” I said. “There’s a logical explanation and no one is going to hurt you.” I forced my mind away from childhood memories of a basement.
Swallowing hard, I tiptoed across the living room to the bedroom. As usual, the door was cracked open. I held the pin over my head, ready to attack in an instant. From where I stood, I couldn’t see more than the corner of the dresser and a beam of soft light. I took a deep breath and pushed the door open. A flashlight rested on the nightstand, pointed toward the ceiling. As I scanned the room, my jaw dropped and my heart paused.
“Connor?” I dropped the makeshift weapon at my feet.

TBR: Are you a plotter or pantser?
Sarah: Both. I come up with a general idea, which can require extensive plotting. Once I have the idea, I “pants” it. By giving my characters freedom, I obtain more surprises.

TBR: Do you have a favorite quote you’d like to share?
Sarah: “The moment comes when a character says or does something you hadn’t thought about. At that moment, he’s alive and you leave it to him.” – Graham Greene.

TBR: Did any music inspire your book? Do you have a playlist?
Sarah: Music is a necessity to my writing. I’m almost embarrassed to say Revealing Hamilton’s playlist is 660 songs. My “ideal soundtrack” is 59 songs.

TBR: Which of your characters would you most/least like to invite to dinner, and why?
Sarah: Most? Nick Pascall. He has so many layers of secrets and such a brooding past. I’ve spent a huge amount of time gaining his trust out of all of my characters. Least? Xavier Tomlinson. He’s a sleaze and would either try to torture me or get me into bed.


TBR: While creating your books, what was one of the most surprising things you learned?
Sarah: I learned my characters have minds of their own and they drive the plot where they want. I’m merely a passenger along for the ride.

TBR: What's next for you?
Sarah: I’m currently working on Embracing Hamilton, the sequel to Revealing Hamilton. It’s under contract with Ruby Lioness Press with an expected release date in January 2013.

TBR: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Most rewarding?
Sarah: Rewarding: Watching the expression and listening to the responses of the reader. Knowing they’re pulled in and enjoy the story is reward in itself. Challenging: Finding enough time to write, especially when inspiration hits at an inopportune time.

TBR: What’s the most interesting comment you have received about your books?
Sarah: People wonder how my brain comes up with the scenarios and characters it does so quickly.

TBR: Where can readers find you on the web?
Sarah:  Readers can contact me through my website at: www.sarahjcarr.com.
I can also be found on:

TBR: Thanks for visiting TBR, Sarah. All the best to you.
Sarah:  Thank you for interviewing me! I had a great time! J

2 comments:

Talk to TBR guests!