Wednesday, March 14, 2012

TBR welcomes Anne K. Albert

TBR: Welcome to TBR, Anne. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
Anne: I write stories that chill the spine, warm the heart and soothe the soul…all with a delightful touch of humor. A member of Romance Writers of America, Mystery Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, and married to my high school sweetheart, it's a given I’d write mystery and romantic suspense. When not writing I love to travel, visit friends and family, and of course, read using ‘Threegio’ my cherished and much beloved Kindle 3G!

TBR: Tell us about DEFENDING GLORY and where it's available.
Anne: DEFENDING GLORY is the first book of the Piedmont Island Trilogy series. It tells the story of a devote woman who believes unconditionally in the Lord, and a man who is convinced there is no master plan, no purpose to life, and most certainly no merciful God in heaven. It’s available in print and e-copy at Amazon, Smashwords and many other online venues.

TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Anne: Suffering from survivor's guilt and unable to resume his career with the FBI, Mac McKeown moves to northern Minnesota to start over as a general contractor and forget that fateful day that changed everything. When he discovers the body of the man who ended his career on Glory Palmer's property, along with a warning for her to leave while she still can, Mac realizes his past has come back to haunt him and an innocent woman's life is in danger. He vows to keep her safe during construction of the retreat, but can he protect his heart as well? 

TBR: Are you a plotter or pantser?
Anne: I’m a die-hard pantser. I’ve tried to alter the process. I really have!

I’ve outlined a number of books, but never followed through to finish them. It took me years to realize the reason I write is to find out what happens next. I love the thrill of jotting down a sentence, and thinking, “Wow! I didn’t see that coming!”

The sad truth is if I already know the outcome, as well as most of the twists and turns, nothing can convince me to spend months writing the story. It would be drudgery!

TBR: How do you develop your characters?
Anne: I know next to nothing about my characters when I begin writing. I just drop them into a situation and watch them sink or swim.

In a way, it’s very much like meeting someone in the real world. In that split second after being introduced we all make snap decisions about that individual. Those first impressions are either solidified, dismissed or altered as we get to know them. The same holds true with my characters. By the end of the first draft, I have a much better grasp of who they are. I know what makes these people tick. I also know what they feel, and want, and why.

TBR: Do you have a favorite quote you’d like to share?
Anne: F. Scott Fitzgerald said, “Writers aren’t exactly people…they’re a whole bunch of people trying to be one person.” 

TBR: What's next for you?
Anne: I’m currently writing PROTECTING HOPE, book two of the Piedmont Island Trilogy series. It features Deputy Jeremy Abbott who was a secondary character in Defending Glory. A true hero in every sense of the word, he walked onto the page and demanded his own story. PROTECTING HOPE will be released this spring. Check my website and blog for details.

TBR: Any other published works?
Anne: Yes! FRANK, INCENSE AND MURIEL, http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Incense-and-Muriel-ebook/dp/B004CLYDRO/ is the first book in the Muriel Reeves Mysteries. The story takes place the week before Christmas when the holiday season is enough to frazzle anyone’s nerves. Add a missing woman, Muriel’s eccentric family, and it’s seasonal mayhem at its best. 
I’m very proud FRANK, INCENSE AND MURIEL was awarded the 2011 Holt Medallion Award of Merit.

TBR: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Most rewarding?
Anne: For me, the most challenging aspect of writing isn’t writing at all. It’s the amount of time spent on self-promotion and marketing. Between blogging, maintaining a website, Facebook, Twitter, and a slew of other online sites, being visible eats up a lot of hours.

It’s necessary and usually enjoyable, of course, but sometimes I long for that bygone era of being a reclusive writer. I realize it’s totally unrealistic given today’s global online market, but there it is!

As for the most rewarding, that’s easy. When a reader says she enjoyed my book, it means the world to me.

TBR: What’s the most interesting comment you have received about your books?
Anne: One reader told me to write faster! I laughed, and then realized it was probably the best compliment an author can get. I just wish I could accommodate her. J

TBR: Where can readers find you on the web?
Anne: 
Piedmont Island Trilogy blog: http://piedmont-island-trilogy.blogspot.com Muriel Reeves Mysteries blog: http://muriel-reeves-mysteries.blogspot.com

TBR: Readers, Anne is giving away an e-copy of either DEFENDING GLORY or FRANK, INCENSE AND MURIEL to one lucky commenter, so be sure to include your email address. She'll pick a winner on March 21, and announce the winner here.
Thanks for visiting TBR, Anne. Best of luck to you.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Cate, for this opportunity. It's a pleasure to be here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    I laughed as I read the description of your writing process because mine is exactly the opposite! While I admire writers, such as yourself, who can sit down and just start writing, letting the story evolve as they go, I can't seem to do that.
    I lost interest quickly in the two novels I tried to write that way and I didn't even come close to completing them. On the other hand, "Mixed Messages" was plotted from the word go and it held my interest to the point that it has evolved into the first novel in my Malone mystery series. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it weird and wonderful how we envy each others process, Patricia? You lose interest because you DON"T know where the story is going and I lose interest because I DO! These differences are what makes the world goes round. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Patricia. You'll be receiving an ecopy of one of my books very shortly. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to TBR guests!