Monday, March 26, 2012

TBR welcomes Christine Warner

TBR: Welcome to TBR, Christine Warner. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
Christine: Thank you so much for having me here!  I live in Michigan with my husband, 3 children, 2 dogs and 2 cats.  A couple of my favorite things to do are laughing until my sides hurt, cooking, traveling, reading (though I don’t get to indulge as often as I used to) and of course writing.

I started writing seriously about 3 years ago at the prodding of my sister and haven’t looked back since!

But of course, like most other authors I started writing way back in elementary school.  I won a few essay contents and was hooked.  I even won a short story contest in middle school and my book “How Frogs First Turned Green” was printed, bound, illustrated and shelved in the school library.  I still have my copy J  I think that’s when the writing bug truly bit me.  

TBR: Tell us about Some Like it in Handcuffs and where it's available.
Christine: I like to describe Some Like it in Handcuffs as a light-hearted romantic suspense with humorous elements. 

Here’s a blurb:
Sunny Kennedy, the only female in a family of blue blood male detectives, is determined to prove testosterone isn’t the only qualification required to solve a cold case. Handcuffed while undercover then taken to the precinct by an attractive detective, her domineering family demands she work with Detective Judson Blackwolf, or she’s off the case.
Judson Blackwolf thinks women in law enforcement should work behind the scenes. The prospect of working with his Captain’s sexy daughter doesn’t thrill him. He only agrees in hopes of solving the murder of his one time mentor’s daughter. Once the case is over, he’s moving to Montana to heal his wounds from the loss of his last partner.
But when their investigation takes a dangerous turn, Sunny and Jud soon realize their feelings for each other cannot be denied.

TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Christine: I’d love to!

“This isn’t how I wanted it between us.”  Judson grabbed the neckline of her sweater, dragging her body to meet his with a solid thump.  Sunny licked her lips in answer to the question in his eyes.  He lowered his head to move his mouth over hers. 
Sunny closed her eyes, a small whimper escaping her lips.  She didn’t want it like this either, but that wasn’t possible.  Unable to resist her attraction she accepted it wasn’t an affair, or a long distance romance she craved, but for him to love her back.  It was all or nothing for her.  Her heart sank.  She accepted this as their goodbye kiss.
With no thought to what was happening upstairs, Sunny rose up on her toes demanding more.  Her lips pulsated against Judson’s.  When his hand trembled against her cheek in a soft caress she lost touch with reality. 
“Judson.” Sunny’s weakened body drifted farther into Judson’s as his fingers glided down her arms, pulling them to her sides where their fingers intertwined.  He forced them behind her before his tongue thrust into her mouth. 
Their bodies molded together, she heard her own heartbeat and his as well when he curved his fingers around her rear and squeezed. 
That’s when the click of the handcuffs against her wrist connected her to the handle of the locked cupboard. 
“What the hell…Judson?”  She looked up at him, her knees shook, her body still inflamed with fever. 
“Like I was saying, you wait here and I’ll go upstairs to check it out.  Backup’s already been called, so you’re safe until your brothers arrive.”  Judson winked before walking toward the steps to the third level.  Once he reached them he turned toward her and smiled.  “Gotcha,” he whispered with his notorious grin.

Some Like it in Handcuffs is available in print and digital format at:

TBR: What inspired you to write about the theme?
Christine: I actually came up with the story—now this might sound odd—by coming up with the title first.  The title popped into my head and then Sunny’s character was born, along with her family dynamics, a mouth-watering hero—Judson—and everything else right down to the setting and plot. 

I love watching and reading true crime and most of what I wrote was based on that, but I had to add a bit of humor in there too.  J

TBR: Are you a plotter or pantser?
Christine: I refer to myself and having one foot in and one foot out.  Part of me plots, but I don’t go to in depth.  Basically I write up a rough outline of the story which features a timeline and basic plot chart, then I do a character sketch.  From this outline I write my story and it also helps me write my synopsis at the end.  As I’m writing I follow that rough outline, but of course things might change in the storyline so I’ll adjust it as I go.  If I’m having a difficult time with a story, I like to have that rough outline along with smaller outlines per chapter to keep me on track.

That way I feel like I’m still being spontaneous but organized.  lol

TBR: Did any music inspire your book? Do you have a playlist?
Christine: I wish I could listen to music as I write, but I can’t.  Peace and quiet keep me focused.  About the only noise is my two dogs snoring at my feet or the cats purring beside me :)

TBR: Which of your characters would you most/least like to invite to dinner, and why?
Christine: Definitely Sunny.  I love her humor and sass and her ability to make fun of herself.  I think we’d have some great conversations and she’d be a lot of fun.

TBR: What's next for you?
Christine: I have several new projects in the works.  I’m in the process of finishing up 2 manuscripts that I hope to submit shortly. 
I also have a second book coming out this year with The Wild Rose Press titled Two-Timing the Boss and another book titled Blind Date Billionaire coming out with Entangled Publishing, The Indulgence Line.  I don’t have a release date yet for either, but feel free to visit my blog or follow me on facebook and twitter to stay tuned J
 
TBR: What’s the most interesting comment you have received about your books?
Christine: Most people who’ve read Some Like it in Handcuffs have told me they loved the humor and really connected with Sunny and Judson’s story.  How they met and how their relationship grew.  I’ve also been told readers enjoyed the interaction between Sunny and her brothers, which is good to hear since I’m working on writing the stories for each of her four brothers.

TBR: Who are some of your favorite authors and books? What are you reading now?
Christine: I wish I could pick just one author.  There are so many out there it’d be hard to choose.  I love reading romance and mainly read contemporary, but vowed this year to expand my horizons.  So, I’m learning about even more fabulous authors. 

I stated above I enjoy true crime and I love author Ann Rule.  Since this is a smaller genre, it’s a bit easier for me to choose a favorite author there. J 

Unfortunately I don’t get to read as much as I used to.  L  Since I’m currently working on finishing up 2 books of my own, I don’t have a book that I’m reading.  I prefer not to read when I’m writing.  But as soon I finish, I’m taking a break and am going to indulge with one of the many books filling my Nook, or in the pile beside my bed…lol.  

TBR: Where can readers find you on the web?
Christine: You can find me at:
My blog/website:  http://christine-warner.com/
Twitter under ChristinesWords: https://twitter.com/#!/ChristinesWords
My Facebook page…stop by and give it a LIKE to keep up on what I have coming up: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christine-Warner/143430882396013
I love to hear from readers and other authors J 
 
TBR: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Christine: What’s your favorite type of hero and why?

TBR: Thanks for visiting TBR, Christine. All the best to you!

17 comments:

  1. Welcome to TBR, Christine. Love that fun cover!
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me Cate! The cover is fun...suits the mood of the story great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great one! :) My kind of hero is one I can imagine really meeting...of course, that doesn't carry over into my paranormal preferences. lol So I'll adjust that to be a man I can lean on and fall in love with for who he is, not what he looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great points Calisa!

      I think that's why I enjoy contemporary romance so much...it could really happen :)

      Delete
  4. Great interview! My favorite type of hero are the lost souls. I fall for them every time. The wounded warriors. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Jennifer...those are awesome heroes for sure! I wonder if it's really possible to have just one favorite? :)

      Delete
  5. Good interview :-). My favourite type of hero is the one that makes you totally flustered when you meet him. And I don't think they come in any type, it's just something in them that sets your pulse racing. Sadly, I don't meet many of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good point Cait! The good thing is that even if you don't meet many of them in real life, there are some great ones out there in books!

      Delete
  6. Love the excerpt, Christine. My favourites heroes are an amalgam of alpha and beta - the strength and inner confidence of the alpha (without the arrogance and domineering streak), combined with the sensitivity and caring characteristics of the beta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a recipe for a perfect man! *sigh*

      But I have to admit that there are times I really enjoy those arrogant males...if the heroine has the strength to put them in their place...those can be fun too!

      Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. Your excerpt rocked.

    My favorite type of hero is the strong, silent types. The lost soul types, the tall, dark, and handsome types, heroes who are alphas but don't flaunt it types. Hmmm, guess I like a wide assortment of heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the excerpt Brenda :)

      And variety in a hero is good...it depends on your mood sometimes :)

      Delete
  8. I like the dinner question! Made me think of what my own answer might be. Congratulations on your release! I can only imagine how happy you must be. My favorite hero is the one who makes a personal sacrafice for the one he loves. Sometimes that sacrafice is unexpected for me, the reader. And I love it. Best wishes on your book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri! So glad you came by and liked the interview :)

      Delete
  9. I'm the same way with respect to music. I either need quiet or a low murmur of background noise in order to write. Best of luck with this and your upcoming releases.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cate!

    Thank you again for hosting me on your wonderful site! I had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to TBR guests!