Friday, March 9, 2012

TBR welcomes Debra Kayne

TBR: Welcome to TBR, Debra. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
Debra: Oh, you started with the hard question. Lol I always describe myself as a small-town farmgirl. I live in a rural area of Oregon on a hobby farm with my hubs and four kids. Besides that…I write.

TBR: Tell us about Margot’s Lawman, the 3rd book of the Sisters of McDougal Ranch series and where it's available.
Debra: You can buy the first 3 books of this series at Carina Press This is a series about 5 sisters from the fictional town of Pike, Montana. The girls are a little wild, a little complicated, and a little stubborn. Luckily, there are cowboys out there that love them. I hope you do too.

TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Debra: It's hard to keep a secret in the small town of Pike, Montana, but veterinarian Margot McDougal and sheriff Roy Lee Hanson managed to keep their relationship on the sly for months. Margot cares for Roy Lee, but the last thing she needs is to worry about local gossip while she's busy running her clinic and dealing with the loss of her beloved father.
Roy Lee can't wait to tell the world that he loves Margot. He respected her decision to keep their affair quiet—until now. It's time for everyone to know Margot is his gal...especially Ryan Martin, her new assistant. He's formed an attachment to Margot and Roy Lee is sure the city boy's unexplained appearance in Pike means he's up to no good.
Margot just wants to help Ryan fit in, and Roy Lee's jealousy soon drives a wedge between them. A wedge that only increases when Margot is roped into Ryan's secret, too...

TBR: What inspired you to write about the theme?
Debra: I love writing western stories. Years ago, I had an editor who told me to write about what I know. I know country living and cowboys. This time I wanted to show the life of 5 sisters and how love, hardships, and family make all the difference.

TBR: Are you a plotter or pantser?
Debra: I used to be a pantser. Recently, I worked with an editor who taught me how to plot. I dragged my feet and pitched a couple private fits, but I can now proudly say, I’m a plotter.

TBR: How do you develop your characters?
Debra: Typically, they pop into my head. With the McDougal sisters I had to develop them over time. I created a character bible, and it includes everything from physical traits to personalities to what they enjoy eating.

TBR: Do you have a favorite quote?
Debra: Courage is being scared, and saddling up anyway – John Wayne

TBR: While creating your books, what was one of the most surprising things you learned?
Debra: It always surprises me on how much of myself I put into my books. This series was fun to write, but because of the subject matter in the first couple books (spoiler!) it was also very rough. There were times when I had to stop typing and bawl. It was also very healing. I’ve received a lot of emails from readers who connected with Stuart McDougal and cried with me. That means so much to me.
J

TBR: Tease us with one little thing about your fictional world that makes it different from others.
Debra: Every one of my books has family in it. It might be a typical 2 parent family, a single father/mother, or parents that adopted the character. I’ve even gone so far in The Chromes and Wheels Gang series to form a family of bikers.

TBR: What's next for you?
Debra: Next book up is Florentine’s Hero. It’s longer, deeper, and coming out this year!

TBR: Any other published works?
Debra: I sure do. I currently have 10 books available, plus a 76 page free read. If you’re interested, please come on over to my website at www.debrakayn.com and take a look. Oh, and grab the free book too! It’s called A Tangled Bargain.

TBR: Where can readers find you on the web?
Debra:  My website is at http://www.debrakayn.com
                You can follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/DebraKayn
                Like me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/DebraKaynFanPage


TBR: One lucky commenter will have her choice of one of the first 3 Sisters of McDougal Ranch series books. Be sure to leave your email address too. She'll pick a winner on March 10, 2012 and announce the winner here.
Thanks for visiting TBR, Debra. All the best to you.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to TBR, Debra! Any tips for getting arrested by that lawman? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT interview! This sounds like a REALLY good series, FAB/SMEXY cover too, btw! Thx for the giveaway op! :)

    barbbattaglia @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk to TBR guests!