Thursday, February 28, 2013

TBR welcomes V.S. Nelson

TBR: Welcome to TBR, V.S. Will you share a little bit about yourself?
V.S.: I’d be happy to. Let’s see where to begin. I’m a Native American and a Scorpio who not only loves writing but loves reading everything I can get my hands on. I retired from my teaching career and currently live in sunny Arizona where I am an active member of three RWA chapters. 

TBR: Tell us Eternal Lovers – Sekhmet’s Guardians – Book One and where it's available.
V.S.: As you probably guessed Eternal Lovers is the first book in an eleven book series. Paranormal in nature, Eternal Lovers mixes Native American lore with ancient Egyptian mythology in a modern day romance. I tend to call the series my night time soap since the stories revolve around a band-of-seven - brothers who came to Earth some 5000 years ago.
The book is available worldwide in paperback and e-format through Amazon and retail book outlets. Links to the U.S. Amazon site are below.
Eternal Lovers – Paperback -  http://tinyurl.com/b8ll29b
Eternal Lovers – Large Print - http://tinyurl.com/ae3u6lv
Eternal Lovers – Kindle -          http://tinyurl.com/amvlphl

TBR: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
V.S.:
SEKHMET’S GUARDIANS – BOOK ONE – ETERNAL LOVERS
BLURB
When two hidden worlds collide near modern day Lake Michigan, Jennifer, a young Native American, is confronted with the reality, not everything is as it seems and things do go bump in the night. The questions she has long since asked are answered in this epic tale of self discovery when she meets Gabriel, the director of Guardians Incorporated.
Born in New Tuat, Netchkhet, now known as Gabriel came to Earth some five thousand years ago to protect the human race.
Disillusioned by an unfulfilled prophecy, he has become cold and distant – even from those of his kind. He secretly waits for his enemy to take his head so he may leave this world for good.
Can a tiny Selkie melt his hardened heart and restore his faith in a power far greater than himself?
When history repeats itself, can he save her from death’s embrace or will they be robbed of a future again? 


TBR: What inspired you to write about the theme?
V.S.: Gabriel, the leader of Sekhmet’s Guardians refused to let me sleep or rest for months. Finally, I gave into his demands and began to listen to him. I guess I would say I originally wrote down the first of his stories thinking it would shut him up. I became enthralled with stories he showed me… usually through dreams. After sharing the first story with a couple of writer friends of mine they suggested I seek publication for them. I had no idea, one story would turn into eleven books.

TBR: Are you a plotter or pantser?
V.S.: Pantser. My stories come from my dreams. I merely put down on paper what I have been shown during the night.

TBR: How do you develop your characters?
V.S.: I really don’t think I have any say in the development of my characters. They show me who and what they are as they see fit.

TBR: Any tips or tricks for world building you’d care to share?
V.S.: World building can be fun and exciting but one of the most important things I can think of is when you create a world with a believable story line stay true to the rules of the world. Too many times I have read other series where the author has long since established the rules of the world only to have them broken in a later edition to the series.

TBR: Which of your characters would you most/least like to invite to dinner, and why?
V.S.: Bagsu. Bagsu is Gabriel’s identical twin brother who is the leader of Set’s Legions – the bad guys who are dead set on destroying the world we as humans live in. He’s one nasty fellow who I would just as soon see destroyed.

TBR: While creating your books, what was one of the most surprising things you learned?
V.S.: When listening to your characters never take anything for granted. They always have a few tricks and surprises up their sleeve.

TBR: Tease us with one little thing about your fictional world that makes it different from others.
V.S.: Where most band-of-brother paranormal series concentrate on the male heroes I can honestly say that my series sheds a new light on the feminine aspect or heroines. Eternal Lovers is not only a book with hunky heroes it is a story of Jennifer’s (heroine) growth. Born a Native American with special gifts she has learned to hide her unique talents from others. It is only after meeting Gabriel and the others of his kind that she comes into her own. No longer a meek and mild woman who lacks self confidence she becomes one kick ass female who is afraid of nothing. By book three she leads the other women, both human and immortal as a separate fighting force connected with Sekhmet’s Guardians.

TBR: What's next for you?
V.S.: Book two, Eternal Nights is scheduled for release in May followed by book three, Eternal Blades the first of December. I’m also working on several other novels not connected with the series.

TBR: Any other published works?
V.S.: Cupid and Penelope.
Cupid and Penelope – Paperback - http://tinyurl.com/ayn33ud
Cupid and Penelope -  Kindle -        http://tinyurl.com/bfyue39


TBR: Where can readers find you on the web?
V.S.: my website  http://www.authorvsnelson.com,  My blog http://authorvsnelson.com/blog


TBR: Readers, author V.S. Nelson will give away an e-copy of Eternal Lovers to one lucky commenter. She'll pick a winner on 2nd, of March and announce the winner here. Be sure to leave your email address so she can contact you.

Thanks for visiting TBR, V.S. All the best to you.

10 comments:

  1. You book sounds amazing and is on my TBR list. Everytime I see the cover or hear you discuss the story, I am again struck. I wish you mega sales. I am secretary in our local RWA chapter and was pleased to see your affiliation-- love the support of our chapter. My first one was pubished Oct 2012 and it's due to the encouragement of a mentor writer who said I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Flossie, thank you for your lovely words and encouragment. RWA members are truly the best... don't know where I would be without them. V

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see you here, Virginia! Nice presentation. I have signed up for a date here also. I see you live in Arizona. I live in Lake Havasu! Maybe we can do coffee one day if you are not too far. Congrats on your new book and I really liked the video. I am learning how to create them now for my own books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EV, yes it is a small world and I accept your coffee invite. Next time I'll out your way we'll get together. Good luck on the video, I'm still learning. The one you see here was made for me by Lex Valentine, an amazing woman.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on this new series, Virginia! How exciting to see this come to fruition! And I love a long series--lots to look forward to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Fichem. Series are always fun (writing and reading)I have to say I am an avid reader of series too.V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Started reading Eternal Lovers and am loving the Native American aspects and Egyptian mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series sounds amazing...I cant wait to read it love this type of paranormal...thanks for sharing with us

    Crystal
    faerymom@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. AND THE WINNER IS.....
    Crystal @faerymom@ymail.com
    I'll be sending out an email your address today! Congrats! V

    ReplyDelete

Talk to TBR guests!